He provided a few hints for writing travel articles, as opposed to a general interest piece:
- As always, it depends on the publication and the audience for which it is written
- Be careful to give enough information to enourage a reader to visit - ease of travel, directions
- Travel arrangements or advice should not be an afterthought - research at the beginning of your preparation
- Time of year and season are important - when are the best times of year to visit?
- Watch the article will not date too quickly with specific information
- Choose an area you know well in order to give genuine information or tips not found in brochures and guide books
- If possible, include your personal opinion of a place - what you like about it
- Don't assume a reader knows the location - relate it to the nearest large town or city and offer advice on how to get there
Winner: Elizabeth Gillespie
2nd: Wilma Ferguson
3rd: Elspeth Munro
Well done to all!
Simon now works with Designer Travel and attended their company conference in Teneriffe last month where he won a prestigious award for Business Development. You can find out more about travel or be added to his newsletter list on his website.