Wednesday 31 January 2018

It’s ‘nice’ to get feedback.


It can be discouraging to write a piece and get no feedback. Even if you submit a written item and have it accepted for publication, but receive no comments from either the editor or readers, it is less than ideal.

I recently sent off five hundred words of flash fiction for a proposed Anthology for the Age Concern Charity. https://hachejones.wixsite.com/through-the-ages  My subject was Dementia. I received the following kind reply from the lady editor.

“This is lovely - thank you. It strikes a very personal chord with me - not because of the dementia but because of a different disability, one that affects my everyday life so drastically.

I would like to ask - though you needn't answer if you would prefer not - is this purely fiction or is it a real-life situation for you? I ask only because I am accepting both fiction and non-fiction this time and your piece would fit easily into either of those two categories. If you would prefer not to say, I will leave it in fiction but if you have any strong feelings either way please do let me know. Either way - it is definitely included.

Thanks again and very best wishes”
                              ...………..

“Oh how poignant. Many thanks for that - fiction it is then.”

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is discouraging to labour over a piece of poetry or prose, show it to a friend or relation and get the reaction “Nice”.

“Nice” is the worst. I’d rather they tell me “Dull and boring”, “I liked the title, loved the font, pity about the story.” or  “The best part was the end.” or maybe “I didn’t like it at all. It wasn’t my thing.”

Anything but ‘nice’.

I’m still waiting for a Morecambe and Wise style of critique for one of my literary masterpieces:- “You used all the right words, but not necessarily in the right order”.

No comments: